Post-Doctoral Fellowship, India
Job Description :Post-Doctoral Research Fellowships are awarded to scholars who have completed a Ph.D. and wish to do research in India. Applicants need not have an academic position. Awards will not be made if it has been greater than five years since completion of a doctoral degree.
Value: All fellowships include
* One round-trip excursion airfare from the place of affiliation in Canada to the place of affiliation in India by the most direct and least expensive route
* A living allowance of Rs 21,600 per month
* An accountable research allowance of Rs 5,400 per month (receipts and expenditure statements required)
* A reimbursement of affiliation fee up to a maximum of Rs 8,000 (to be reimbursed by the Shastri India Office on presentation of receipts)
Duration: Post-Doctoral Research Fellowships are for a minimum of three to a maximum of twelve months. The awards are made for the April 1, 2011 – March 31, 2012 period, however fellows cannot travel to India before the Government of India grants its approval. Fellowships for successful applicants are subject to approval of their research topics/areas by the Indian Consulate or High Commission closest to their city of residence.
Eligibility:1. Eligible areas of study are restricted to:
* Archival Science
* Communication and Media Studies
* Distance Education
* Environmental Studies
* Fine Arts
* Indian History
* Indian Films
* International Relations, Development and Trade
* Interdisciplinary Studies
* Library and Information Science
* Management, Business Administration
* Medical Sciences
* Modern Languages And Literature
* Political Science
* Religious Studies
* Social Work
* Urban and Regional Studies
2. Eligibility is restricted to citizens and permanent residents of Canada who are a minimum of 18 years of age.
3. Applicants who have accepted a grant or award from the Shastri Institute within the last 12 months are not eligible to apply.
4. Individuals who have received previous grants or awards from the Shastri Institute and have yet to submit their final reports are not eligible to apply.
Processing Time: Processing applications at the Institution to obtaining an Indian visa may require the following tentative time frame:
* Adjudication of applications: End of December 2010
* Notification to the applicants: End of January 2011
* Contracts sent to successful applicants: Early February 2011
* Obtaining Certificate of Affiliation: End of March 2011 (about 6-8 weeks)
* Obtaining Indian Visa: Student Visa (3-4 weeks) Research Visa (4-6 week)
Please note that only complete applications will be considered.
1. One original copy of Shastri application form (with original signature)
2. One electronic copy of the application form (please send by e-mail, disk or CD)
3. Proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status
4. Certificate of ethical approval if the applicant is proposing research involving human subjects, including interviews, focus groups and access to documents affecting the privacy of individuals. This requirement applies whenever living persons or communities may be affected by the proposed research, whatever the discipline(s) involved, and could include such areas as oral history (must be received by December 2010).
5. Proof of Ph.D. completion must be provided prior to the tenure of the fellowship.
Applications will be evaluated primarily on the basis of the:
* Originality of the proposed research and its potential intellectual contribution to knowledge
* Competence of the applicant including linguistic competence in the relevant Indian language(s)
* Soundness of the proposed methodology and clear demonstration of knowledge of relevant scholarship on the topic
* Feasibility of the project as designed and clear demonstration of necessity to carry out the work in India
Conditions of Tenure:
* All awards are subject to approval by the Government of India. The Government of India does not permit research in strategic areas or on sensitive regional, political and social themes. Please visit the following web link to learn about some areas that may be restricted by the Government of India: http://travelindiasmart.com/restrictedareas.php
* All fellows must affiliate with an Indian institution.
* All fellows are required to submit interim and final reports on forms provided by the Institute.
* The Institute must be notified if there are exceptional circumstances that necessitate an interruption in the tenure of the award. Deferral of fellowship tenure beyond March, 2012 will require approval by the Executive Council and is granted only in exceptional circumstances.
* The Institute must be notified if the training or research changes in any substantial way from the parameters outlined in the awardee’s original application.
Application Deadline: June 30, 2010
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants are encouraged not to submit unrequested materials with their applications since we will not send such supplementary information out to our evaluators.
Applicants will be informed of the outcome by the end of January 2011.
Program Officer, India Studies
Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute
Room 1402, Education Tower
2500 University Dr. NW
Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4
Phone: (403) 220-7467 Fax: (403) 289-0100
Funding: The Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India provides funding for this program.
Please note that the Institute takes no responsibility for missing applications/ materials in mail (postal or electronic) or via courier.
For More Information Click here